Saturday, October 15, 2011

Twelve, Five, Sixty


On December 5, 1960, I had driven across the old San Mateo Bridge in the morning, and then back home later as the sun was setting.  It looked so unusually beautiful that day, that I wanted to be able to capture it in my minds eye.  To create this memory, I decided to try to describe it in rhyme.
I stopped the car as soon as I got off the bridge that evening on the Hayward side, by the Leslie salt flats, and wrote my thoughts.
___________________
With hills of brownish green
And bay a calm as a peaceful stream,
The sight was like a beautiful dream
Of what is possible could ever seem.

Not a cloud was in the sky.
No smog got in your eye.
The day was quite unusual - like
Meeting a man who could never die.

Today's was a sight not often seen
Around our beautiful bay of green;
For the air is not often so clean
As 'twas from six am to eight this evening.

The bay looked as if 'twere lighted below
By lights caught in he undertow;
And only one who saw it would know
That it was a most marvelous show.
___________________

1 comment: