Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Paradox of Freedom Through Bondage

I was born in and into heinous bondage – as are we all.  Blinded, I did not recognize my bondage.  Why? – My cage – indeed the prison cell, which contains us all  – is so large.  Our cell is this finite world in which we live.  My chains were my commitment to this world and everything in it – beautiful things; wonderful experiences; emotions and passions; desires, needs and wants.  All these otherwise good things had been distorted by sin and the prince of this world.  They blinded me to my wretched condition.
Paradoxically, my freedom came in the form of bondage – bondage to Christ.  He alone could and did rescue me from this prison, and from its chains.  He made me a citizen of His infinite and eternal kingdom.  He accomplished this marvelous act of love by revoking the claim that sin, this world, and the prince of this world had on me.  Paying the penalty of death – separation from God – (as only the infinite, all-powerful, and perfectly just God could), He threw the lifeline of His gospel (the promise and sure hope of eternal safety) to me.  He enabled me to jump to it, grab ahold of it, and to cling to it – the anchor of my soul.
Now, my chains are grace, and hope, and mercy.  Each link is forged in Christ's love on the anvil of God's eternal glory.  They carry the weight of His eternal purposes – the work of His passionate heart, the work in which He invites and allows me to participate – a burden that is designed to be both light to bear and a light to the world.
Shine, Jesus Shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment